Woman With Rare Deformation Condition Wants Baby Despite 50% Chance Of Passing It On To Her Child





A woman born with Apert syndrome who has been warned not to have children , insists she’d be an amazing mum even if she passed it on to her baby Born with Apert syndrome – a condition that causes deformities of the skull, face, hands and feet – life has not been easy for Jean Kelly.

But now, the brave 26 year old has met the love of her life and is planning to start her own family.
She has defied doctors’ predictions that she would be blind, deaf and dumb and die before the age of three and lives a full and happy life.She told The New Day



I have had to deal with ­strangers on the street telling me I’m ugly,”
“But as I’ve got older, I’ve learned that it says more about the ­person being cruel than it does about me.I’ve had to ­battle all my life but it has made me the person I am.Now I have met a man, we are in love and I would love us to get married and have children.
“There is a 50% likelihood that I will pass my condition on to any baby that we have, but I am willing to take that chance.
“I know that I will be an amazing mum, and if my child does have Apert syndrome, I will make sure their life is just as wonderful as mine.

Two years ago, at a day centre, Jean met and fell in love with Martin Stokes, 28, who is visually impaired and has cerebral palsy.



Jean says: “We became friends, and after a while we realised that we both had ­feelings for each other.I’ve always dreamed of ­getting married and having a family of my own. And when I met Martin, it finally felt like a possibility.
“He’s the kindest, most loving person I have ever met and he makes me feel like the most beautiful person in the world.
“We have both faced difficult times and that will put us in a good position to be good ­parents and help our children, should they face the same ­prejudices we have.”

And despite the challenges she has faced, Jean says she’s glad she was born with the ­condition, saying: “I wouldn’t change my Apert syndrome for the world.


“They say you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, and I’ve learned that this also applies to people.




Comments